I recently had company over for dinner and two guests had gluten allergies. My mom clued me in to this great flourless cake recipe. It’s so good, I would make it gluten allergies or no! I recommend using high quality chocolate, such as Ghirardelli’s. If strawberries aren’t in season, try making a simple, raspberry sauce, detailed below.
This cake is a chocolaty confection that’s a cross between fudge and cake. You can make it ahead and freeze until you need it. It’s good with ice cream, but can also be covered with sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 cup ground almonds
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted (1 1/3 cup)
4 eggs, separated
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups strawberries (or 1 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray or butter and cocoa; shake off the excess cocoa.
2. Beat butter until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar and beat until creamy. Add ground nuts, chocolate and egg yolks; beat thoroughly.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean. Let cool in the pan 30 minutes, then release sides and slide onto a serving plate.
5. Combine cream, vanilla and 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Top cake with cream and strawberries or raspberry sauce.
[To make the raspberry sauce. Simply blend 1 frozen raspberries with 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Drizzle over cake and top with cream.]